Friday, August 13, 2004

Infertility, the Soundtrack

I'm one of those people who firmly believes that life needs a good soundtrack. How can we underestimate the importance of music to set the stage, to convey the mood, to conjoin all our senses?

I love it when people talk about the song that was on the radio that day when they first set eyes on their husband to be, or that summer they drove across the country with the top down. The album you bought and played to death when you broke up with your first love. The tune you dance around the kitchen to with your best friend, the wooden spoon as your microphone. The song you listened to over and over, with the headphones on, lying on the living room floor in the dark, wondering what will become of you.

I love the way those certain songs, with a few chords, can evoke the most intense memories. Stop you in your tracks, seize your heart, take you back. Take you forward.

Anyway, maybe I've spent too much time on iTunes, but I started thinking it was time for my adventures in infertility to have a soundtrack. So here is mine. The links will take you to more information about the various artists, since some of them are a little obscure.

These are not "infertility-themed" songs as such (is there such a thing?). But I have found myself playing these particular tracks a lot over the last year to lift me up or soothe the soul. I hope that in the future, when I have made peace with whatever outcome is to be ours, I will listen again.

And if the music reminds me of a point in my life when I stood, trembling on the brink of choices so enormous that I could barely breathe, I will know that through it all, I was not alone.

1. "Super 8"- Mila Drumke
2. "I Got a Plan"- My Friend the Chocolate Cake
3. "Come What May"- from the film Moulin Rouge
4. "Please Forgive Me"- David Gray
5. "Don't Dream it's Over"- Crowded House
6. "Happiness"- Grant Lee Buffalo (from my all-time favourite album "Mighty Joe Moon")
7. "Classic Northern Diversion"- Jackie Leven
8. "Comfortably Numb"- Scissors Sisters
9. "Seven Nation Army"- White Stripes
10. "Chocolate"- Snow Patrol
11. "Grace"- Jeff Buckley
12. "Strange & Beautiful"- Aqualung
13. "God Give me Strength"- Elvis Costello
14. "Let's Go out Tonight"- Craig Armstrong
15. "Humble Me"- Norah Jones
16. "Diamond in the Rough"- Shawn Colvin
17. "Full of Grace"-Sarah McLachlan


UPDATE:

A couple of people have mentioned in the comments that they would like to use this idea in their own blogs. That made me realise, I should have said from the outset that I do hope people will compile and share their own soundtracks. It'll be like one big blog-o-Mix Tape! Yay!

3 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Mare,
Good soundtrack! Glad to know I'm not the only one--I've actually compiled an "Infertility Mix" (though the case bears another name, I know in my heart that's what it is).

Let's hope in a few years, when we're playing with our kids, we'll hear one of those songs, and think "That was such a hard time...but look, look at what we've got now."

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger DeadBug said...

I feel like you've raided my CD collection for your list. Beautiful, beautiful songs. Hope you don't mind if I crib from you!

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! We listen to similar music. How cool is that? Heidi (lost and finding)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home