Saturday, February 26, 2005

At the crossroads on the Typepad trail

I am wrestling with the thorny dilemma of whether to up stakes from my home here at Blogger, and migrate to Typepad. I know there are a couple other people who have either done this or are considering it for various reasons.

Personally, this site suits me fine for the most part, despite certain limitations. I am used to it now, and don't get dry mouth and sweaty palms whenever I mess around with the template. But I would very much like to have things like categories, a feature which appeals to my basic need to file. I do actually spend a lot of my free time doing this blogging thing, and it would be nice to have a service that works well without some of the technical hiccups I experience here on occasion.
Also, I am very conscious that there can be problems with the comment function on this site, despite the supposed improvements recently made by Messrs Blogger & Co. I gather it can be chronically, offputtingly slow. Tell me, how bad is it? Just bad, or really, really bad?

Plus it must be fun to be able to ban trolly people. To thunder from on high (or, um, from across the keyboard)- "YOU! You and your ISP are hereby banished, mwhahahahaha!" Not that I have any great need to ban anyone. But, like the Queen's prerogative, it must be a useful thing to keep in reserve.

Oh, I don't know. I have been swithering about this for weeks now, and can't make up my mind. I am very fond of what I have here in its own simple way, but also know I could probably just pack my bags and load up the covered wagon.

I do suspect part of me is looking for what my mother calls "a geographical cure"- that is, simply moving somewhere else because I can, rather than facing up to what I need to do here. That being, to keep on working on telling this story. We're coming to the part where I want to hide behind the cushions- how much easier to go tinker around with fonts and layouts and categories.

What do you think? Should I saddle up and go on to Fort Typepad, or just hunker in my bunker here?

12 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Soper said...

Lala has recently made the move, so she can give you input on the whole ease of moving thing.

The Lioness actually created categories using Blogger, but it seemed really complicated.

However, complicated and free is better for me than easy and, well, not free.

But I would so love to have the power to ban...YOU! I would ban YOU! And then let you back in only if you gave me presents. Good ones. Wrapped in money.

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger Soper said...

Jesus H Christ, Blogger just ate the fucking comment I wrote about whether Blogger eats fucking comments.

Maybe we SHOULD pack up and move.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Lala said...

I take it you like my new purple home? I like Typepad because I could simplify my site to my taste and choosing my template colours was a lot of fun for me. Also I am now able to get a cool template designed by someone else and it won't say blogger at the top. And the power of being able to ban commenters? ooooh heady. Think of it as a fresh start.

http://lalaland.typepad.com
all purple and shit

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said this on my own blog a couple of weeks ago: The monthly cost for Typepad is cheaper than an HPT. And I can pretty much guarantee it will produce waaaay more positive responses. ;)

Time it took to leave this comment? 4 minutes, 36 seconds. But you're worth it.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Yeah, I just noticed that everyone seemed to be contemplating yanking up stakes and moving. I was wondering what was going on.

Fuck, I just got my blogger blogs like I want 'em! I am also opposed to laying out dosh for yet another thing (I have 2 websites as well).

Of course I've not had the comment problems. I seem to ba albel to comment on other folks' blogs and *sniffle* not many ever comment on mine.*sob*

Personally, being a tightwad ThriftyChik I'd stay with Blogger ... but now I'm compelled to go check out Typepad ...

Dang you, Mare! Dang you to Heck!

-Blue

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger E. said...

Personally, I'm too cheap to move...but I can certainly see the typepad appeal. I will be haunting you whereever you are, though.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Sorry ... me again. Bloody Hell! Have you seen how much it is to blog with Typepad? the two lowest levels are $5 and 9$ per month. That's a bit dear for me. I pay less than that for my web hosting.

I guess it's Blogger for me. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, Mare. Good luck!

-Blue

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanking everyone for their insights. I still don't quite know what to do. Moving the archives shouldn't be a problem, though if I do shift.

See, I like the cost of Blogger, too. Free. Free is good. Like Blue, I am all about the thrifty. I can almost live with all the points that bug me, except for the comments, which is a serious downside. Another crap side of Blogger comments is that I often have no way to respond, because people don't leave their e-mail (or don't have to, if they have logged in, but that only links me back their blog site, not their e-mail). Has anyone used Haloscan comments? If you have, is it any better?

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger K|nneret said...

I have used haloscan and they're a fine service. Only thing is after 3-4 months (I forget which) your old comments are archived (You can't see them). If you want to keep them, it's 12.95.

So, meantime I'm staying with blogspot.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? I posted yesterday and it never showed up. I wouldn't normally bother post again (cuz I'm lazy like that)except you asked about this... I think staying with Blogger means accepting that there are those of us who want to comment, but don't have the time to wait, or do comment & it doesn't show up.


Marla

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to Typepad when Blogger still didn't have comments. It was very easy transferring my old archives over and getting the new ones set up. So far, I've really liked it. The help staff are actually helpful, the templates are easy to navigate, and the banning has come in handy (you can also close comments later, or erase them entirely). It's also very friendly to including images in your posts, if you care about that.

I find it worth the US$4.46 they charge me monthly.

There are a few little tricks that aren't obvious (like how to display a picture in one of your columns) but they're easy enough in practice, and, again, the Help folks usually have the answers if you ask.

Rana

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Sherman Unkefer said...

I like Typepad because I could simplify my site to my taste and choosing my template colours was a lot of fun for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home