Friday, December 03, 2004

Shudder

As always, I am touched by the kindness of so many of you, women who appreciate that a garden variety, bog-standard cycle with no particular prospects for success can nonetheless deliver a pretty potent kick in the teeth. I think there are a couple of reasons I felt it quite acutely this time, but that will have to wait until I have some time to blog at will and at length.

In the meantime, can I share something else that is distressing me? Not in the grand scheme of things, exactly, but it has given me pause on more than one occasion on this trip. I'm talking about Coach.

Have they have LOST their collective minds? Whither the classy little leather bucket bag? Wherefore the once proud sleek streamlined duffle?

I mean, really. The new designs make me *shudder*- as if my granny, once immaculately decked out in Chanel, had started parading around in a Juicy velour top with acid washed micro mini. If I wanted something made out of a quilted material, lined with fur in an ocelot pattern, then frankly, I would have just gone elsewhere. I know you can still get the good stuff, but it was far from in evidence on my recent retail tour of duty.

I despair. Is nothing sacred anymore?

8 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? There's a difference between annoyingly 'cute' and trendy baby 'stuff' and ghetto trash. Clearly, Coach is appealing to the 'ho market. Well, they are the ones who get pregnant easily, so I guess it makes sense. Hee hee.

xxxooo,
Emily
scrambledeggs

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Queenjulie said...

Perhaps they're trying to get Britney Spears to do their next ad campaign? After all, she's a trashy ho, and, if you listen to the rumor mongers, easily pregnant. I'm just saying.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my god. I couldn't agree more. Horrifying, isn't it? Just yesterday I managed to drag my ass to the store to look for a new purse, and was absolutely appalled at the ho-like colors and over-use of fake fur. Gross! And can you get anything without some huge, gigantic logos or initials on it that make it look like something from an 80's rap video?? Or something without gigantic gold chains or buckles?? Ugh.
Jen/VintageUterus

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

I just love your thought process. So similar to mine. "GODDAMNNIT it didn't work again this month! What am I going to do?!? And look at those God-awful purses!"

What is this world coming to when sensible women with good taste can't have babies and purses that ugly will be in Jenner's soon?

-AmyY

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, in my tiniest mouse voice:

i love those purses.

i sleep with the coach catalog under my pillow. they are totally fabu, yo.

i'm really not kidding, i swear. i really do like them. make fun of me, go ahead! i can take it, ho's.

*smooch*

karen/naked ovary

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger chris said...

I've been puzzled about this turn of events myself. You know where you have to go for a simple, work-ready (not that I work, really) bag nowadays? Fricking Talbots. And it's not even made very well.

Maybe the designers at Coach were taken over by a bunch of 17 year old "What Not to Wear" wannabees?

Of course, what do I know. I'll be turning 40 next week.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Mare said...

Karen, we are already aware of your certain dubious fashion penchants- ruffled ra-ra skirts, ponchos, etc. And we forgive you because you are so sublimely gorgeous and and can get away with wearing things that others should not. Even a Purse o'Fug.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that Coach had turned so white trash. Is nothing sacred, indeed.

patricia
http://laf.typepad.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home