Monday, November 29, 2004

The newest member of the family

So. Here I am in Florida, at my parents' house. What can I tell you about the last few days? The 20 hour trip to get here? The feeling of unfolding myself into the light after the beginnings of an early winter hibernation in Scotland? The bizarre sense of culture shock I always experience at first- the cars, so big! The food, so big! The houses, so big!

But I won't go into any of that right now. Instead I will bid a warm welcome to the newest member of the Mare household- a jazzy new laptop for E. with all the bells and whistles. I was ruthlessly decisive in picking it out, and felt no worry at the fact that it's a PC, not a Mac. The kids will just have to learn to live together, that's all.

My parents were raising their eyebrows at the cost, but I mean, och...[insert Scottish sound at back of throat]. Have you seen the exchange rate lately? My credit card will be bursting into flames by the end of the trip, as I plan to shop til I...have to stop.

I'll try to post something later, something more properly bloggish, but for now, there is sun to be lain in (is that grammatically correct?) Who cares, there is sangria to drink and sand to stir beneath toes.

7 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Soper said...

Mare, dear, people are always laid...

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Lala said...

Winston Churchill is fluttering in his grave.
"There is sun in which to be lain" is more appropriate.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Can you tell us where in Florida you are staying? I hope you enjoy the warm weather and your laptop!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Dee said...

Another Floridian glad to know you're here and enjoying the shopping, the weather, and the beaches! Glad your trip over was a safe one.

And like Stacy asks, can you mention where you're at? Just curious to know which coast you're on--I'm guessing west coast of the state but that's just my gut and it's steered me wrong a few times.

Welcome again, and enjoy my dear!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the sun, Mare!

Jen/VintageUterus

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Mare said...

Stacey & Dee-

Hee. I won't reveal exactly where I am, but it's west coast so Dee was right on there. Glorious today, glorious I tell you! What a great place.

And I apologise for my grammatical faux pas- I would blame the new keyboard, but really, I think the sangria is the real culprit.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Mare, I live near Tampa. I hope you enjoy the warm weather althoguh it is suppose to get cold this week. High's in the 70's...bbuuurrrr....stay warm! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home