Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Moi, birthday

There's a rumour going around that today is my birthday. After some deliberation, I have decided to confess. Yes, it's true. Today is, in fact, my birthday.

One of the reasons I wasn't gonna say anything is because the whole day has been such a complete non-event. The big treat of the day was a foofy coffee from *insert Huge Corporate Conglomerate Coffee Franchise here*, not the cheap filter coffee I usually make for myself. I went to work, went to the gym and came home. I had a shower. I ate two cold leftover sausages and a bowl of cornflakes, which is the only food in the house at the moment. I called my mother and scraped her down from the ceiling about all things Ivan related.

Now, I can hear you all, with a collective gasp of astonishment saying: where is E.? How could E., whose treatment of small ponies is usually so exemplary, be absent? Today of all days? Well. We'll come onto to the detail of that in another post later. It's a long story, but (more or less), it's cool.

However, I did suggest that it would be a grand gesture for him to send flowers to me at work today. You know, the kind of overblown romantic display which might be expected on the birthday of one's beloved partner, particularly when said partner is a little down.

The subsequent conversation, conducted by e-mail, went something like this:

M: It's my birthday. Where the fuck are my flowers?

E: Do you have any idea how much it costs to send flowers?

M: No, because you never send them.

E: To get a nice bunch costs £XX. For £XX I could buy you [insert number of desirable covetable items of a more permanent nature].

M: Mmm. I note I don't have any of those things either.

E: Oh. Well. Yes. Mmm.

Anyway. I'll see him tomorrow, and so I will postpone my childlike giddiness at the prospect of presents until then.

In the meantime, it may interest you to know that in horse years I am 10 years and 4 months old.



11 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday...many, many wishes for your dreams to come true this year.

xxoo

Emily
scrambledeggs

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! And you're not really alone. You have all of us! By the way, G. hasn't sent flowers since our first year of marriage. The classic, "tail between your legs bouquet" when he was trying to make up after a fight. Birthday flowers? Forget it. Deep down I guess he knows I'd be just as happy if he brought me a pizza on my birthday anyway. Hope E. brings you something really nice tomorrow. He'd better!
Birthday smooch from Heidi (lost and finding)

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was kind of hoping your husband was going to have Michael Flatley jump out of a cake and dance for you...and then it hit me he is Irish....and further research revealed he wasn't even born in Ireland...so...well...crap! Bad idea!

Happy Birthday Mare :-)

Hope you have a year filled with peace, lots of good lovin' and more happiness than you know what to do with.

Moogielou
Fractured Fairytale

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Miss W said...

Generally on people's birthdays, I sing "Happy Birthday, Lisa" from the episode of The Simpsons where the fat, bald white man in the mental hospital thinks he is Michael Jackson. So, here goes:


Mare-y it's your birthday
Happy birthday Mare-y
Hope you get (mumble mumble I don't know the words but sing it anyway)
And your first kiss from a boy!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Dee said...

Happy (one day) belated burfday to you! May all your wishes become realities in the coming year. :-)

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another late birthday wish coming your way! I can't wait to read what you got!!

B
http://daydreamdesires.typepad.com/

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Tiff said...

I am sorry that you didn't get your flowers.
But, I hope you had a good birthday anyway!!!

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday you wild thing, you! I say your hubby must take you to a nice din-din out, too. Cornflakes and sausages? Sounds like something I'd eat...
JenH (vintageuterus)

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Or whatever. Happy birthday!

marla
the middle way

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hippo birdie two ewes.


Lauren

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I hope all your wishes come true this year, so much!
Menita
(lifesjestbook)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home